John M. Rivas, M.D.
John M. Rivas, M.D. attended the University of Miami at Coral Gables, Florida graduating with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Biology. He attended medical school at Ross University School of Medicine and graduated with highest honors. He completed his Internal Medicine residency training at Cleveland Clinic Florida, where he was awarded the Chief Resident Award. Subsequently, his Gastroenterology fellowship was also completed at the Cleveland Clinic where he served as Chief Gastroenterology Fellow. He finalized his training with an advanced Transplant Hepatology Fellowship at Cleveland Clinic in Ohio. He then joined Cleveland Clinic Florida as Staff Gastroenterologist and Transplant Hepatologist in the department of Abdominal Transplantation in 2015.
His clinical specialty and interests are liver failure, liver transplantation, hereditary and autoimmune liver diseases, Non-Alcoholic Liver Disease (NAFLD), liver tumors / cancer, and general gastroenterology. Dr. Rivas is triple board certified by the ABIM in Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology, and Transplant Hepatology. He is an active researcher and is the primary investigator for several large, multi-center research studies. Dr. Rivas served as Interim Medical Director for Broward Health Adult Liver Transplant Program.
Education & Professional Highlights
- Interim Medical Director for Broward Health Adult Liver Transplant Program, since 2018
- Associate Staff in Gastroenterology Fellowship Program, Aventura Hospital, since 2017
- Associate Staff in Transplant Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Florida, since 2015
- Director of Transplant Grand Rounds, Cleveland Clinic Florida, 2015-17
- Transplant Research Fellowship Director, Cleveland Clinic Florida, 2015-17
- Chief Gastroeneterology Fellow, Cleveland Clinic Florida, 2014-15
- Chief Internal Medicine Resident, Cleveland Clinic Florida, 2010-11
Education & Fellowships
- Transplant Hepatology Fellowship – Cleveland Clinic Ohio, 2015
- Gastroenterology Fellowship – Cleveland Clinic Florida, 2014
- Internal Medicine Residency – Cleveland Clinic Florida, 2011
- Ross University School of Medicine, Suma cume laude, 2008
- University of Miami, Bachelor of Arts in Biology, 2004
- Internal Medicine
- Transplant Hepatology
- Liver diseases
- Liver transplantation
- General Gastrointestinal diseases